Saturday, July 11, 2009

Good News! Evengelion Kicks Ass!

Oops! Wrong Evangelion!


That's better!




You know those moments when a band that you previously thought was kind of boring releases a solid and consistent slab of goodness? I'll admit that I previously thought that Behemoth had a few good songs but were a very hit-or-miss band for me. In fact, I used to agree with a friend of mine who once described them as, "a bunch of corpsepainted weenies." Damn, I was totally fucking wrong.

Okay, I'll also admit that I didn't listen to very much Behemoth in the past, but the only two songs of theirs that I really liked were Chant for Eschaton 2000 and Slaves Shall Serve. Songs like Conquer All, Antichristian Phenomenom, and At the Left Hand ov God simply didn't do it for me. At the same time, isn't a band supposed to release their best song as a single?

On Evangelion, Behemoth has finally focused their sound, and by that, I mean play songs that are as fast and heavy as they can make them. This album explodes right from the beginning and doesn't slow down until the atmospheric closing track.

Wheather it's the chorus of Daimonos - "All hail Dionysus!" is certain to become a frequent scream along at concerts- or the sheer heaviness of the main riff in He Who Breeds Pestilence or the solo in The Seed of I, this album is a fucking screwdriver hammered into your forehead that simply never relents until it feels that it's done with you. Check it out. or you're missing out.

8/10

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a pretty big fan of Behemoth and I definitely can't wait for Evangelion.

    ReplyDelete